点击上方关注“行之美国”
导读
全文共计1300字,阅读时间预计4分钟。
你将看到:
仁者见仁智者见智,各位看官请自由发表自己对此次马里兰大学毕业演讲事件的看法。
昨天各位留学僧的盆友圈都被马里兰大学本科毕业生Yang Shuping同学的毕业演讲事件刷屏了,清一色都是Yang同学罪大恶极,辱华等哗众取宠的标题党,加上煽动性的文字
我们不妨暂且忘记那些带有浓重感情色彩的批判性报导,来看看这位本科刚毕业的姑娘的演讲原文
以下为Shuping Yang演讲内容的中文翻译
希望大家能仔细看完,
小编就不特地标红了,
免得造成错误引导。
Good afternoon faculty, students, parents and friends.
各位教职员工们,同学们,家长们,朋友们,大家下午好。
I am truly honored andgrateful to speak at the commencement for the University of Maryland, Class of 2017. 
能够作为2017届毕业生的学生代表在今天马里兰大学的毕业典礼上发表演讲,我感到非常荣幸。
People often ask me: Why did you come to the University of Maryland?
人们经常问我:你为什么要来马里兰大学啊?
I always answer: Fresh air.
我通常都会回答他们:因为新鲜空气。
Five years ago, as I step off the plane from China, and left the terminal at Dallas Airport. I was ready to put on one of my five face masks, but when I took my first breath of American air. I put my mask away. 
五年前,当我乘坐的航班降落在达拉斯机场,走出机舱的那一刻,我准备戴上我五个口罩中的其中一个。但是当我呼吸了第一口美国的空气时,我就把我的口罩收起来了。
The air was so sweet and fresh, and utterly luxurious.
这里的空气是那么的甘甜,新鲜和极度奢侈(utterly luxurious)。
I was surprised by this. Igrew up in a city in China, where I had to wear a face mask every time I wentoutside, otherwise, I might get sick.
我感到非常惊讶。我在中国的某一个城市长大(编者注:发言人是云南昆明人),在那里每一次外出我都需要带上口罩,要不然我可能就会生病。
However, the moment Iinhaled and exhaled outside the airport,I felt free.
而在机场,当我呼吸到新鲜空气的那一刻,我感受到了自由。
No more fog on my glasses,no more difficult breathing, no more suppression.
 我的眼镜片上再也没有了雾气,呼吸也不再困难,我再也没有了压迫。
Every breath was a delight.As I stand here today, I cannot help, but recall that feeling of freedom. 
每一次呼吸都是一种快乐。我现在站在这里,就情不自禁回忆起那种自由的感觉来。
At the University of Maryland, I will soon feel another kind of fresh air for which I will beforever grateful — the fresh air of free speech.
在马里兰大学,我很快感受到了另一种“新鲜空气”,一种我永远都心存感激的“新鲜空气”,那就是言论自由。
Before I came to the UnitedStates, I learned in history class about the Declaration of Independence, butthese words had no meaning to me— Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of happiness.
在来美国之前,我在历史课上学到了美国的《独立宣言》,但在当时,“生命”,“自由”以及“追求快乐”这些字眼对我来讲是没有什么意义的。
I was merely memorizing thewords to get good grades.
我背诵这些词汇只是简单的因为我想要拿到一个好的分数。
These words sounded sostrange, so abstract and foreign to me, until I came to University of Maryland.
这些词汇对我而言非常奇怪、抽象和陌生,直到我来到了马里兰大学。
I have learned the right tofreely express oneself is sacred in American.
我了解到,在美国,自由表达言论的权利是神圣的。
Each day in Maryland, I wasencouraged to express my opinions on controversial issues. 
在马大的每一天,我都受到鼓舞,对有争议的事件发表自己的看法。
I could challenge astatement made by my instructor. I could even rate my professors online.
我可以挑战我的导师发表的言论,我甚至可以在网上给我的教授们评分。
But nothing prepared me forthe culture shock I experienced when I watched a university production of theplay— Twilight: Los Angeles.
但是当我第一次看到由我们学校制作的《暮光之城:洛杉矶》(Twilight: Los Angeles)时,我感受到的文化冲击是巨大的。
Twilight is a play by AnnaDeavere Smith about the 1992 Los Angeles Riots.
这个剧是由Anna Deavere Smith创作的,讲述的是1992年发生在洛杉矶的一次暴动事件。
The riots followed acquittalof four Los Angeles police officers in the videotaped arrest and beating ofRodney King.
事件起因是四名洛杉矶警察逮捕并暴力殴打了一名超速的黑人出租车司机Rodney King,这一切被摄像头拍下。而这四名警察却被无罪释放。随后就引起了暴动。
For six days, the city wasin chaos as citizens took to the streets.
长达六天的时间里,整个洛杉矶沉浸在混乱当中,市民们纷纷上街抗议。
In Twilight, the studentactors were openly talking about racism, sexism and politics.
在这部剧里,学生演员公开谈论种族歧视、性别歧视和政治观点。
I was shocked, I neverthought such topic could be discussed openly.
我当时震惊了,我从来没有想过这样的话题是可以公开讨论的。
The play was my first tasteof political storytelling, one that makes the audience think critically. 
这个剧是我第一次接触到有关政治性事件的讲述,它可以让台下的观众辩证地思考问题。
I have always had a burningdesire to tell these kinds of stories, but I was convinced that onlyauthorities on the narrative, only authorities could define the truth. 
我一直对讲述这样的事件有一种强烈的欲望,但是我原本一直以为只有当局才有资格讲述,才能界定真相。
However, the opportunity toimmerse myself in the diverse community at the University of Maryland exposedme to various, many different perspectives on truth.
然而,马大给了我机会,让我沉浸在多元化的群体中,能够接触各种各样的不同的观点,了解真相。
I soon realized that here I have the opportunity to speak freely. 
我很快意识到,在这里,我可以自由发表自己的观点。
My voice matters. 
我的声音很重要。
Your voice matters.
你的声音很重要。
Our voices matter.
我们的声音都很重要。
Civil engagement is not atask just for politicians. I have witnessed this when I saw my fellow studentsmarching in Washington DC, voting in thepresidential election and raising money to support various causes.
参政议政不再只是政客们的事情,我亲眼见证了我的同学在华盛顿市区游行,在大选期间投出自己的一票,为各种各样的理由募捐等等。
I have seen that everyonehas a right to participate and advocate for change.
每一个人都有为社会的改变而参与其中并发声的权利。
I used to believe that one individual participation could not make a difference, but here we are, United Terps.
我之前以为一个单独的个体是不足以改变什么的,但是看看我们,我们是一个强大的团体。
Together, we can push oursociety to be more just, open and peaceful.
我们一起努力,可以推动整个社会朝一个更公平,开放和和平的方向发展。
Class of 2017, we aregraduating from a university that embraces a liberal arts education thatnurtures us to think critically, and also to care and feel for humanity. 
 2017届的毕业生们,我们从一个倡导文科教育的大学毕业,是她培养了我们的批判性思维,也教会我们关心人性的种种。
We are equipped with theknowledge of various disciplines and we are ready to face  the challenges of our society.
我们满载各个学科的知识出发,我们已经准备好了去面对社会当中的各种挑战。
Some of us may go tograduate school, some us may step into professions and some of us may begin ajourney of exploration.
我们中有部分学生会继续念研究生,有些会步入各个专业领域,有些则走上了探索的征程。
But no matter what we do,remember, democracy and free speech should not be taken for granted.
但是无论我们未来做什么,请记住,不要把民主和言论自由视为理所当然的事情。
Democracy and freedom arethe fresh air that is worth fighting for.
民主和言论自由是值得我们为之奋斗的“新鲜空气”。
Freedom is oxygen. Freedomis passion. Freedom is love.
自由是氧气,是激情,是爱。
And as a French philosopherJean Paul Sartre once said: freedom is a choice, our future is dependent on thechoices we make today and tomorrow.
正如法国的哲学家Jean Paul Sartre所说:自由是一种选择,我们的未来都建立在我们今日和明日所作的一个个选择上。
We are all playwrights ofthe next chapters of our lives. Together, we write the human history.
我们都是自己人生的下一个篇章的作者,也让我们一起,共同谱写人类历史。
My friends, enjoy the freshair and never ever let it go.
我的朋友们,尽情享受这新鲜空气吧,千万别让它溜了。
Thank you.
谢谢大家。
顺便附上Yang同学第一时间做出的回应
这次演讲带来的反响大大的出乎我的意料, 并深感不安。现申明及致歉如下:我深爱自己的祖国和家乡,为国家的繁荣发展深感自豪,也希望今后用自己在国外的所学弘扬中国文化,为国家做积极贡献。演讲只是分享自己的留学体验,完全没有对国家及家乡的否定或贬低之意, 在此深表歉意,并衷心希望大家给予谅解,今后会吸取教训。同时也希望不要再有更多的解读,甚至人身攻击。谢谢!
小编碎碎念
旧时上山当土匪,为了表示自己的决心和不背叛,就先随便杀个人,将人头献上,表示自己也有命案在身,不能报官,不会背叛
说句实话,我们在日常聊天中也会黑一黑自己的家乡,什么我们老家是传销窝点啦什么取暖基本靠抖啦骑马上学啦什么考试比射箭啦,但是没有谁会把这些玩笑上升到毕业演讲中去
Yang同学受邀在毕业生典礼上讲话,一望而知是出于diversity的需求,即所谓的“多元化”。是校方希望在毕业典礼上听到中国留学生的声音,可以说,Yang同学的身份,放在国内高校就是“毕业生代表”。这些演讲内容,在这么一个场合下发生,相信Yang同学心里门儿清着呢。
在这个情况下,Yang同学无论是分享个人感受,还是讲述群体心声,都必须遵循一个原则:必须照顾你所代表的人群的心理感受,不必强求每个你代表的人都同意你的观点,但不能去表达一些明显冒犯他们中某些个体的观点
(敲黑板+推眼镜)此事无关爱国主义、民族主义,甚至我们不妨承认她讲的问题很大程度上真实存在;但此事与个人修养有关,Yang同学的行为着实是很没礼貌。
结尾引用一下百年前清朝留学生出国的宣言,愿诸君共勉:
『此去西洋,应深知中国自强之记,舍此无所他求。背负国家之未来,取尽洋人之科学。赴七万里长途,别祖国父母之邦,奋然无悔。』
此处名侦探柯南BGM再次响起,
被迫害妄想症患者提出异议!
Yang同学代表2017届毕业生致辞,
演讲稿应该是会有人帮她校对和润色的,
那么问题来了,
帮她修改演讲稿的人又是谁?!?!
噗~阴森森的笑着...匿了...
美中高等教育学会
宗旨
是在北美地区具有广泛影响力的教育类非营利组织,是在纽约州注册并被美国国税局批准的501(c)(3)非营利与社会公益慈善组织,在美国相关法律下享受运营便利和税收优惠。它由中美两国顶尖名校校友以及专业人士、教授发起,旨在打破信息不对称不透明,为准留学生、家长以及在美留学生提供真实信息与对接高质资源,致力于帮助留学生适应美国高等教育环境、传递真实的留学生形象和声音。
美中高等教育学会同时对接政府、知名企业、美国高校核心资源,扩展线上宣传线下活动独特渠道,着重打造留学人员创新创业项目与人才培养基地,多途径帮助国内企业政府在美招聘、吸引国际顶尖人才回国工作;为留学人员当地就业或回国创新创业、培养青年领袖提供便利条件。美中高等教育学会从申学到求职全方位服务留美人员,广泛促进中美教育和人文的交流。
美中高等教育学会(行之)
110 Wall Street,New York, NY 10005
Chinese-American Higher Education Institute
www.CAHEI.org
www.xingzhi.org
 ❤行之编辑部 ❤
小编:睿源
喵星铲屎官,喵的心愿是世界和平
继续阅读
阅读原文